Name: Tent Caterpillars
Tent caterpillars construct tents of silk on one or more branches of a tree.
The caterpillars feed during the day on deciduous trees, and at night, they return to the tent for protection.
Method of Travel:
1. Inspect plants regularly for signs of caterpillar infestation and spray immediately if you see caterpillars.
2. Prune trees in late fall or early spring to keep populations low.
Steps to control:
1. Begin control at night when groups of caterpillars will be gathered together inside a tent. Cut the tent open and hand pick the caterpillars from the tree.
2. Remove egg masses by scraping the clusters with a knife.
3. Good, long lasting, low-toxic methods of insect control can be done with Knock Down products.