Name: Tent Caterpillars
Tent caterpillars construct tents of silk on one or more branches of a tree.
The caterpillars feed during the day on deciduous trees, and at night, they return to the tent for protection.
Method of Travel:
- Inspect plants regularly for signs of caterpillar infestation and spray immediately if you see caterpillars.
- Prune trees in late fall or early spring to keep populations low.
Steps to control:
- Begin control at night when groups of caterpillars will be gathered together inside a tent. Cut the tent open and hand pick the caterpillars from the tree.
- Remove egg masses by scraping the clusters with a knife.
- Good, long lasting, low-toxic methods of insect control can be done with Knock Down products.