The Zika virus is circulating in many countries.
Before you travel, learn more about the Zika virus and how to protect yourself.
5 FACTS ABOUT ZIKA VIRUS
1. Infected Mosquitoes are the primarily carriers of the Zika Virus
The Zika virus is spread through the A.Egyptai mosquito. These mosquitoes are active from dusk till dawn.
2. Be Prepared! Prevent Zika Virus infection by preventing mosquito bites.
There is no vaccine to prevent, and no medicine to treat, Zika virus infections.
Always use approved insect repellents like PiACTIVE™ and follow directions as per the label.
Check to make sure biting insects in your destination are covered in the insect repellent list of insects.
PiACTIVE is a wide-spectrum insect repellent
3. Can Zika virus infection during pregnancy cause birth defects.
If you’re pregnant, infection with Zika virus could increase the risk of severe health outcomes for your unborn baby and infant, like microcephaly, and other birth defects.
4. Pregnant women and those planning a pregnancy should avoid travel where Zika virus is transmitted by mosquitoes.
If travel cannot be avoided, follow strict mosquito bite prevention measures. Discuss your travel plans with a health care professional for specific advice to reduce your risk of getting Zika virus.
5. Can i get the Zika virus through sexual contact?
There may be a risk if you are pregnant and you or your partner has traveled to an area with local mosquito-borne transmission of Zika virus.
Always use condoms correctly or avoid having sex for the duration of your pregnancy.
The above information is collected, in part, as originally published by
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada